Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sparkle in the Hamptons














One of my greatest pleasures in life is exploring the wine regions of the world. Champagnes and Sparkling wines are my passion and I was absolutely enchanted by my recent visit to Wolffer Estate in Sagaponack, Long Island, NY. Sandy loam soil in combination with an Atlantic breeze (2.6 miles away) create ideal conditions allowing them to achieve their signature Wolffer style; European elegance married to the terrior of Long Island.

I attended a Sunset Friday event that the Winery offers from May - October from 5pm-sunset at The Wine Stand. (The Wine Stand is just around the corner from the Winery.) It's the perfect way to relax among the vines, soaking in the setting sun with a music and a glass of their sparkling wine.

What did I taste?

 I began with the 2007 Wolffer Estate Blanc de Blanc made with 100% Chardonnay from their oldest vineyard block planted in 1988 and is made Methode Champenoise. On the nose it's fresh with notes of lemon zest, pear and also a hint of toasted sweet brioche. On the palate it's rich and creamy and welcomes the green apple and apricot to the party! As a New England girl (besides sipping solely) this would just be beautiful paired with Lobster freshly kissed with a squeeze of lemon.

I also had to try the 2008 Wolffer Estate, Noblesse Oblige, Sparkling Rose. The Noblesse Oblige is comprised of 65% Pinot Noir, 34% Chardonnay and 1% Merlot. On the nose peaches and strawberries invite you in for a taste. As the Rose's sparkle tickles your tongue you taste strawberries, orange, white peach and rose petals. It's refreshing and sophisticated and would be oh so pretty with fresh lump crab meat tossed lightly in pasta and olive oil and finished with orange zest or for a more casual dish on occasion I can't resist a rich juicy beef burger and a glass of sparkling rose!

I cannot wait until my next chance to revisit Wolffer and
savor a glass of their beautiful sparkling wine under a pink sunset.

Slainte!



No comments: