Monday, February 6, 2012

These are a few of my favorite things....


Whether you are a fan of Valentine's Day or not I always look at it as a day to take the time to tell those closest to you how much you love and care for them; significant others, family and friends. And of course a day to look forward to wines, chocolates and good food!

With that in mind I thought I would pick a few of my favorite things that I think are unique and delightful treats for your sweet.

As far as I am concerned chocolate must be had and my absolute favorite chocolatier is Woodhouse Chocolates located in St. Helena in Napa Valley. As we eat with our eyes first, before you have entered their store you know you are in for a feast for your eyes as well as your taste buds. It appears as if you are stepping into a glorious jewel box with glass cases full of decadent truffles and chocolates. My favorite must haves from their jewel case are the Pistachio, and the Thai Ginger chocolates. Other musts I collect every time I visit (and are also available to order online) are the Dark Chocolate Caramels with Fleur de Sel and their Milk Chocolate with Golden Grahams Bar!

Now that your chocolates have been collected... onto the wine! Imagine you are in the Napa Valley as you sip on Swanson Vineyards' Instant Napa Cabernet Sauvingon that celebrates Swanson's 25th Anniversary. This wine is comprised of carefully selected fruit from small blocks of premium Cabernet Sauvingon, Merlot and Petite Verdot from all across the Valley. Silk cascades across your tongue as you experience cassis, black cherries and espresso finishing with a delightful tug of tannin. Prefer a white wine? I adore their Viognier with it's crisp acidity and no need for a bouquet of flowers if you have this wine (although it never hurts)! It's floral notes of honeysuckle and orange blossom are simply intoxicating! (food pairing hint...Viognier pairs heavenly with black truffle risotto!)

Chocolates and wine collected...now it's time to snuggle up with a good book. As it is Valentine's Day one of my new favorite finds is La Figa Visions of Food and Form . This book (available on Amazon) is a collection of 20 recipes and sensual photography by Matt Freeman where the models are wearing nothing but edible creations from the James Beard Award Winning Chef Tiberio Simone. Browse the beautiful pages of the vibrantly captured living art, divine recipes (Drunken Figs is my favorite!) and see where the night takes you!

"For me the sensuality of food closely resembles the pleasures of sex. From the first bite of a meal, the body is catapulted into rapture through the last climactic bite. A delicious morsel is as sweet as the first kiss" - Chef Tiberio Simone

1 comment:

Julie @BananasForBourbon said...

Swanson's Viognier was pretty special. Such a great balance of acidity and sugars, nice and light on my palate. Yum! Now I want some!

The La Figa book was surprisingly interesting and beautiful. I expected just gratuitous nudity, but the food caught my eye more than any skin.