New Years Eve is upon us and Champagne and Sparklers are the first thing on everyone's mind. Because of this I thought I'd write about my favorite bubbly cocktails!
First and foremost when it comes to bubbles there is no need to spend a lot of money on a bottle of Champagne when you will be blending your bubbles with other accoutrements. California offers some fantastic sparkles and my favorite for cocktail making is Domaine Chandon.
Want to stay in France for your bubbles? There are so many fantastically priced Cremants (a Cremant is a french sparkling wine from designated wine growing regions following specific conditions) that can offer quality bubbles at a much lower price. My favorites are
Lucien Albrecht Blanc de Blancs Cremant d'Alsace and Blason de Bourgogne Cremant de Bourgogne (available at Trader Joe's).
My top three favorite cocktails are:
1. Cognac Clementine Cocktail:
- Pour 1 tbsp of Cognace into your flute (I really enjoy Landy Cognac VS ....orange blossom, orange zest and blanched almonds)
- Pour in your bubbles...a CA Brut bubbly would be fantastic!
- With a vegetable peeler slice thinly a clementine, rim your glass and drop it into the glass
- Squeeze in a little clementine juice. Cheers!
2. Parisian Peach Cocktail (courtesy of my dear cousin Kate)
- Pour in 1 tsp St. Germain elderflower liqueur into your flute
- Pour in 1/2 tsp peach schnapps
- Now fill your glass with your bubbles...Cremant de Bourgogne is lovely
- Garnish with a slice of white peach. Sante!
3. Spanish Rose
- Pour in 1/4 tsp rose petal syrup (add more as you wish, but it is potent!)
- Fill your glass with a Spanish Cava Rose...try Freixenet's Cordon Rosado Brut
- Sprinkle a pinch of cayenne pepper on top (the heat comes on as an after effect)
- Garnish with a rose petal. Salud!
Enjoy and have a safe and Happy New Year!